Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 09:42:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        Craig Shrimpton <craigs@os.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Redundancy in FBSD web server

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Craig Shrimpton wrote:

> First of all, using Intel based equipment and the Internet as we know
> it, "cannot ever be down" is not a possibility.  Unless you are prepared
> to use a system like a Stratus and co-locate the machine in a telco-grade
> facility complete with generators, I wouldn't promiss "NEVER."

Understood.  I'm never going to promise them never, just an improved
situation over one server that can leave them stranded.

> BTW: Considering most people connect to web servers via flaky modem
> dialups, it's kinda pointless to build a excessively high availability
> system for general public use.  Now if the client is Fidelity Investments,
> well they'll spend millions just to keep Lotus Notes running!

They've got the excess of money and a lack of common sense.  If they want
me to build two or threee boxes so that they can feel better at night, all
the better for both of us.  8-)

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon                                         james@nexis.net |
| Integrator, The Nexis Group                     Voice/Fax : 416 410-0100 |