Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 19:19:35 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Andrew N. Edmond" <edmond@shaman.lycaeum.org>
To:        Jim Riffle <jriffle@rif.kconline.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WWW Search Engine? (SOLUTION!)

> > I am trying to provide a WWW search engine on my FreeBSD box, and have
> > installed Excite (in it's current incarnation, it doesn't work even with
> > the 2.2 kernel - well, it does, but not on a 250meg WWW directory) and am
> > told that the new version (coming out in 2 weeks)  will not be
> > significantly improved software design-wise.  Harvest is a convoluted
> > mess... are there other search engine options for FreeBSD?
>
> I have Excite running on a 2.2-Current and a 2.1.5 machine.  Neither of
> these have 250 meg WWW directories though.
>
> Basically what I have found is it just doesn't like the perl binariry
> shipped with it.  Replacing that, and a few other things,has made it
> work flawlessly for both of my sites.

Yeah - I basically took the Architext.tar.gz, replaced the perl binary
with the /usr/bin/perl4 binary in freebsd, retar'd it, and then installed
from there with the supplied script.  Worked fine - got all the way
through, even the AT-start.cgi and AT-admin.cgi programs worked
flawlessly.  The program was INSTALLED, but when I went to build from the
root directory I got an error.  When I indexed from a smaller directory
(under 50 megs) it worked fine.

> I am concerned about what you say though.  One of my web servers probablly
> has around 150 Megs of stuff on it.  If it is going to crap out when more
> data gets in there, I sure would like to know.
>
> What exactly is the problem with the 250 Meg tree?  Or is that 250 megs in
> just one directory?  Did you have the install script install the thing?
> If not, I can fill you in on how I got mine to work with that, it was a
> pain getting it installed.  Is it having troubles making your index with
> that many megs?

Well, I have leared that Excite *sucks* - the new version coming out
(supposedly) in 2 days is said to fix these problems, but now they have
pushed back the date for BSDI binaries for another 2 months.  So, I was
forced to seek an Excite Alternative.  I found one, and in my opinion it's
MUCH better (I guarantee anyone fed up with Excite will like this):

	http://htdig.sdsu.edu/

Which is like Excite in client and server execution, but with more
features, more customizable, and you get the *source*, and it's free under
the GNU license.

It took me 15 minutes to download, install, and configure, and an hour to
read/index/merge my 250 meg tree on a Pentium Pro 200mhz machine.  If you
want to see how my engine was customized and configured:

	http://www.lycaeum.org/ (search from the middle of the page).

I also tried before settling on HtDig: WebGlimpse, swish+glimpse and
harvest - all of which are much inferior to HtDig.  Give it a try, you'll
like it!

Andy

.  Andrew Edmond          .....   American Libertarian       ** VOTE **   .
..  edmond@lycaeum.org     .....   End the War on Drugs                  ..
...  University of Wyoming  .....   HARRY BROWNE FOR PRESIDENT / 1996   ...
....  Botany Department    .......   http://www.harrybrowne96.org/     ....