Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 00:20:55 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        "Bill Fumerola" <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/15873: New Apache_fp+php+mod_ssl-1.3.9+3.0.12+2.4.8 port.

Hi,

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Patrick Bihan-Faou wrote:
>
> > To me the ideal situation would be:
> > - a simple apache port (apache13)
> > - a new port category (maybe) for the apache modules where I could find
> >   mod_ssl, mod_php, mod_frontpage, mod_xyz, etc.
>
> and the apache13 port might also have a dialog script that could choose
> all of the above (and resolve conflicts etc).

I am not sure weither you are being sarchastic here or not :)...

I guess you are right there need to be something like that, but maybe the
answer is not the FreeBSD port system. My point was that having so many
apache ports is more annoying than beneficial, especially when you start to
go in dependencies stuff...

SO to rephrase my comment, a *minimal* set of apache ports for the really
major conflicts inducing tricky interaction of some major modules is OK. But
having an apache port for each and every combination of apache modules that
exist is NOT a good thing. What if I want mod_frontpage but not php or
mod_ssl ?

Patrick.