Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:32:21 -0500
From:      Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
To:        Manfred Riem <mnriem@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/75348: Tomcat port overwrites server.xml config file

[2004-12-21 13:07] Manfred Riem said:
| Why not use server.xml.sample for the original version?
| That way one never has to worry ;) And it is the same
| scheme as with rc scripts.

  Yes, except that server.xml and web.xml and other config
files are _required_ for a working tomcat installation.  I'm
not opposed to the .sample approach, but I'm afraid that
breaks the principle of least surprise (and this list
would be fielding more bug reports because of tomcat not
working after an upgrade).  If we did this, we'd still have
to juggle config files around to, with great certainty,
leave the user with a working tomcat after an upgrade.

  There is likely no way we can have the right thing happen
all the time, but I think the chosen solution should be the
one that has the best chance of doing the right thing more
often than any other.

cheers.
  brent