Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:36:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@redirect.to>, Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>, Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>, Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, <bsddiy@163.net>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

:
:On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:
:
:>    My advise:  First make it work.  THEN make it work better.
:
:	Excellent advice, as long as you don't skip the steps of
:appropriately defining the problem domain and evaluating all of the
:possible solutions for it.

   Well, now mind you I am not arguing with you specifically, but I will
   point out that you might garner a great deal more input into the project
   if someone does a good first-run port of the NetBSD stuff and actually
   gets it into the tree as an alternative, even if it isn't 100% perfect.
   Then people can actually start using the thing and generate much more
   focused bug reports, fixes, and comments.

   If you try to make the thing 'perfect' in the first release you could
   end up dragging development out many more weeks or months then otherwise.

   I was thinking of something along the lines of an rc.conf variable that
   causes /etc/rc to use the new system rather then the old.  That way someone
   (like me) can simply set a single variable in /etc/rc.conf, keep all
   the other rc.conf that was there intact, reboot, and magically be using
   the new system.  If it doesn't work right, I can comment out the variable,
   reboot again, and be back to my old system, and then generate a bug
   report.

						-Matt