Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:51:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions Discussion List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XFree86 require upgrade 2.1.7 -> 2.2?

Greetings!

I have recently been informed that, because the XFree86 3.2
that came with my 2.1.7-RELEASE doesn't work with my Trident ProVidia 9685
(even at generic VGA settings -- just turns the monitor off), I have to
upgrade to the 3.2A beta if I want a working system (text-mode UNIX on a
single-user system is about as useful as MS-DOS to me).

I checked the d/l sites, and the only FreeBSD distributions for 3.2A are
for 2.1.6 and 2.2 .  Since my Walnut Creek 2.1.7 claims to be a security
release (fixing the problems in 2.1.6), the 2.1.6 version doesn't sound
like an option -- which leaves me with 2.2 .  I just bought 2.1.7 about a
month ago, and I'm not very happy about having to buy or download
another whole system and store it on my hard drive because there won't
be any more support for my brand-new, obsolete 2.1.7 . (It also seems a
bit cheesy for Walnut Creek to sell me, someone new to FreeBSD, an
operating system for $45 that is basically dead in the water.)

If I want to be able to use 3.2A or higher XFree86 on FreeBSD, am I going
to have to move to 2.2 ?  What would that entail?  A full upgrade?
Should I just return the CD and ask for my money back?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

    Jeff Roberts >>>>  jroberts@ashland.edu  <<<<  strider@acm.org