Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 12:06:52 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysexits

>The style(9) man page recommends the use of values defined in
><sysexits.h> to indicate failure conditions. However, there is no

That's a bug in style(9) :-)/2.  The only non-contrib'ed 4.4-Lite
source files that use it are rmail/rmail.c, mail.local/mail.local.c
and sccs/sccs.c.

>predefined value for what is probably the most common error condition,
>at least in some applications - a failed malloc(), calloc() or
>realloc(). I therefore suggest adding the constant EX_NOMEM, with the

What's wrong with errx(1, "[mcre]alloc failed")?  The error string will
be understood by most humans and approximately 0 progams.  EX_NOMEM will
be understood by few humans and approximately 1 program (sendmail,
but only after you change it to recognise the new error).

Bruce