Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 19:18:29 +0200
From:      Andres Vega Garcia <Andres.Vega_Garcia@sophia.inria.fr>
To:        mbarkah@slate.Mines.Colorado.EDU (Ade Barkah)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to set up nis/yp on 2.0-R ?

: mbarkah@slate.Mines.Colorado.EDU (Ade Barkah) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to set up yp between 2 FreeBSD 2.0-R machines.
>Reading the man pages it mentions /var/yp/Makefile as a
>configuration file, but I can't find it anywhere. The
>man pages also mention stuff being started in netstart
>and rc.local, but I can't find any yp stuff in those
>places either.
>
>Any ideas ? Thanks in advance,
>
>-Ade Barkah

	This is what I use (and it works) in my rc.local :
-------------------------------
# Kerberos runs ONLY on the Kerberos server machine
if [ X${kerberos_server} = X"YES" ]; then
        echo -n ' kerberos';    kerberos >> /var/log/kerberos.log &
fi

# For loading fonts/keyboard example look in /usr/share/examples/syscons
# directory

domainname `cat /etc/defaultdomain`
ypserver='the servers IP address'    # the_server_name

domain=`domainname`

if [ "$domain" -a -d /var/yp ]; then
        echo "NIS domain is $domain."
        echo -n 'starting NIS service:'
        ypbind; echo -n ' ypbind'
fi

	Recapitulating:

	1) create and empty /var/yp directory, and the file /etc/defaultdomain
	2) uncomment the line with 'nis' in /etc/host.conf
	3) assign your ypserver IP addres (rc.local)
	4) execute ypbind (rc.local)

	Ah!, do name_server=YES in /etc/netstart

Andres

INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, France
      avega@pax.inria.fr