Date:      Fri, 3 Feb 1995 20:24:58 -0600
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   longjump in kernel

 stupid question time. I have a video board that requires the camera to
 supply vertical sync, and I need to wait for starts/stops of the vertical
 syncs in the driver. if the camera is turned off and someone reads from the
 camera, then my driver will hang forever (I guess this could be said for a
 disk drive, but more users will shut their camera off when they would not
 shut off their disk drive).

 am I correct in think there is nothing that can be done in this situation?
 (a user process can set a timer and long jump out, but I can imagine this
 is leagal in a device driver).

 I am about to change my sun based RGB grabber for nv/ivs to use this card
 (the old cheap digial vision "computer eyes" - it was here, don't buy it if
 you don't own one, we are going to buy a better card for real use).

--mark.