Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:57:51 -0500
From:      "Norris, Toby T" <Toby.Norris@HSV.Boeing.com>
To:        "'support@freebsd.org'" <support@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Ports collection refuses to install from dos partition

Hello,

I have been having problems installing the FreeBSD ports collection.  My
system configuration is as follows:

CPU: Cyrix 166+
Disks:  scsi controller = adaptec 2940
           wd0 = 2GB EIDE
           wd1 = 3 GB EIDE
           sd0 = zip
           sd1 = jazz
           sd2 = 2 GB scsi

I have successfully installed FreeBSD and everything including XWindows
seems to work fine.  I was unable to install from the latest Walnut
Creek CD since my CD reader is an unsupported IDE model.  So I just
copied the entire CD to wd1s1 (a 2GB dos partition) to a directory named
freebsd, then installed using boot floppy and the dos partition.

Everything went fine during  the install.  I have a /usr/ports directory
with a Makefile.  However, I have no executables for any of the ports
collection programs and no man pages for them.  I am especially in need
of the g77 fortran compiler.  I have tried to build several of the ports
collection programs but I get some message about being unable to fetch a
needed file.  When I try to install anything more from the dos partition
using /stand/sysinstall  I get the message that some index could not be
found.

I have looked on other FreeBSD systems and noticed that they have a
/usr/local/bin directory loaded with the programs that I need.  The CD
cover says that all the executables and source for the ports collection
are included but I can't find any souce.  I would greatly appreciate any
advice on how to get these programs into my FreeBSD system from the CD
that I purchased.

Thanks,
-Toby Norris