Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:15:42 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA patch and others

Hi Sean,

> Now I'm trying to puzzle out how to set up the compile
> system as a netserver for the Apple.  I switched over to
> reading through the NetBSD macppc specific docs for setting
> up netbooting.  Seems (most) everything hinges on the
> dhcpd setup...  Do I need to set up a swap file as well?

 No need for swap just yet.

 This is the relevant segment I have in my dhcpd.conf:

host macfreebsd {
        hardware ethernet 00:30:65:A1:7B:AC;
        fixed-address 192.168.0.11;
        option host-name "macfbsd";
        always-reply-rfc1048 on;
        option root-path "192.168.0.1:/export/macfbsd/root";
        option routers 192.168.0.1;
        filename "loader";
        next-server 192.168.0.1;
}

 The loader has been copied into the /tftpboot directory, and the root filesystem
dumped into /export/macfbsd/root. NFS has been setup on the server (192.168.0.1)
to export this directory.

 To boot, get to the OpenFirmware prompt and

0 > boot enet:,loader   (works on all G3/G4 systems, older G3's can get away with 'enet:0')

 Unfortunately, there currently seems to be a problem with the root directory on
NFS mounts

# ls /
/: /: Bad file descriptor

 even though 'ls /bin' works fine.