Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2008 00:23:06 +0200
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Coert Waagmeester <coertw2@gawab.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: local mirrors of ports and packages?

Coert Waagmeester wrote:
> Hi all!
>

> I am quite new to FreeBSD. I am quite a boffin on Linux though.
>
> What I would like to know is, how can I make local mirrors of ports and
> packages? I live in South-Africa, and bandwidth is painfully slow and
> expensive.
>
> How many data would it be in total?

Consider that if bandwidth is expensive then you probably don't want to
download data you are not going to use.

The ports tree is only a few hundred MB uncompressed (about 50MB or so
compressed), and cvsup or portsnap updates are small (you only download
the changes).  That is presumably the best option.

If you want to mirror the full ports CVS repository it is a few GB.  If
you want to mirror packages, then you're looking at tens of gigabytes
that are updated every few days.

Kris