Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 00:55:55 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Color ls

--lHNupHuuosULgVTo

Matthew Hunt wrote:

> Does anyone know why XFree86's xterm, as shipped, doesn't set
> TERM to xterm-color?  Is it for fear of an xterm-color entry
> not existing (either on the local machine, or machines you
> telnet/ssh to from the xterm)?

ok, next question.

If that's the case, why don't we change our termcap so that "xterm" and
"xterm-color" are the same thing, and "xterm-mono" is there for people
who _reall_ don't want color, or have a monochrome display, or whatever.
It seems really dumb not to have colour by default, but perhaps there's
a good reason.

/me runs away for fear of annoying people by even daring to suggest this.

--=20
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /

--lHNupHuuosULgVTo