Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2012 15:01:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg bug

---2065771026-1185832698-1333738875=:15917

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, Waitman Gobble wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2012 10:40 AM, <doug@safeport.com> wrote:
> >
> > This is 9.0-RELEASE with all else installed via pkg_add. Xorg is 7.5.1; xdm is
> 1.1.11. When logging out or terminating Xorg the screen flashes a line that is the
> login pattern at the top of the screen. The rest of the screen is black.
> ctrl-alt-F1 switches to the console but the monitor is disconnected (e.g., I
> eventually get 'no signal' as if the system is powered down). ctrl-alt-F9 returns
> to the xdm login which then works normally. I am using xfce and see no problems
> after logging. There are no errors logged in .xsession-errors, Xorg.0.log or
> xdm.log.
> >
> > I get the same symptoms with and without hal  and when Xorg is started with
> startx or startxfce4. xorg.conf is unmodified from a 'Xorg -configure'. The
> monitor driver select is radeon. The radeonhd driver crashes.
> >
> > The system is not down, as I can ssh into it,the only real bug is that the
> consoles are not available. I think this is a bug handling the monitor rather than
> the keyboard because of the 'no signal' indication and the ctrl-alt keys work, I
> just can not see whats on the console.
> >
> > Is additional logging available? Anybody seen one like this?
>
> Hi,
>
> On my amd64 machine running 10.0-CURRENT with xfce4 the screen turns white when i
> logout or use the shutdown button. i'm running the latest in packages, will have
> to check the version.
>
> ssh into machine still works except that within 40 seconds or so the machine
> freezes. my work-around is to do shutdown -r now from terminal, which shuts down
> before 40 seconds  :) shutdown without r does not stop it from freezing.
>
> i have not yet taken the time to troubleshoot but maybe this weekend ill get the
> details together and try to see what the problem is.

Thanks. AFAIK my system does not freeze but I do not know that I have waited it
out either. I will let you know with a list-only post.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
doug@safeport.com
Voice: 301-217-9220
   Fax: 301-217-9277
---2065771026-1185832698-1333738875=:15917--