Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:00:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Derrell Lipman <Derrell.Lipman@InventionCity.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Timeout error with IBM Ethernet II PCMCIA card

I've just installed FreeBSD 2.2.7 on a Compaq 1810.  Everything is
working fine except for network access.

I'm using the IBM Ethernet II PCMCIA card, which FreeBSD identifies as
ze0.  This same card worked with my old version of FreeBSD 2.1.5 on an
IBM Thinkpad, and works with Windoze 98 on this laptop.

sysinstall installed what it thinks are the appropriate lines in
startup scripts, and I can do loopback using my own configured IP
address.  However, if I try to go onto the network, I get an error.

(I get similar results whether the card is in slot 0 or slot 1.)

When booting, I get the following:

  pccardc: /dev/card0: Device not configured
  Enable PC-card.pccardd: /etc/pccard.conf: No such file or directory
  pccardd: fatal error: readfile
  ze0: flags=c43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,OACTIVE,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
	inet 206.119.44.6 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 206.119.44.255
	ether 00:04:ac:26:09:db
  lo0: ...

It then displays this... (the machine name is "random")

  random /kernel: ze0 device timeout, isr=03, imr=9f, imask=0000

When attempting a ping to the local subnet, I get the same timeout
message, followed by:

  ping: sendto: Host is down

Recent changes (I'm not sure what) caused "OACTIVE" to go away, but
all other results remain the same.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Derrell Lipman / Ham: N1YDI / Grumman Tiger, N28860 / http://InventionCity.com

 - Civil Air Patrol:
   Commander, LtCol Frank Pocher Minute Man Squadron, MAWG;
   Mission Pilot; Air Ops Director; Ground Team Leader;
   Ground Ops Director; Mission Coordinator Trainee;
   Communications Unit Director; Patriot 461
   http://minute-man.mawg.cap.gov

Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Sec. 227,
any and all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is
subject to a download and archival fee in the amount of $500 US.
E-mailing denotes acceptance of these terms.