Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2007 21:30:00 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
To:        "N. Harrington" <drumslayer2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gjournal reporting 1/2 the speed of non journaled? What is the status of Gjournal?

On 08/16/07 20:02, N. Harrington wrote:
>  With ZFS, I have not seen much new going on with
> gjournal. I am curious what the status of gjournal and
> if it will likely be included with 6.3 (whenever that
> is due)
>
>  Also, as of late, I have been using it with
> 6.2-STABLE via the patches and I seem to be getting
> 1/2 the transfer speeds compared to non journaled
> disks. It seems like this is recent as previous tests
> showed it as quite fast.

It would help if you included your gjournal configuration, file system
configuration (how it was newfs'ed), what kind of performance you saw,
and what you expected.

>  Any suggestions on why this could be happening
> greatly appreciated.
>
>  tested via
>  dd if=/dev/zero of=./testfile bs=16 count=16384

A 16byte block size is, well, really not going to prove much.  Try a 1m
block size.

>  On 2 different dual opteron systems with 8 gigs of
> Ram running FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE amd64 (as of 4 days
> ago)
>
>  Regardless of the disk (I tested scsi and ata and one
> on a raid controller) both times I converted it to
> journal, the speed went in half.

Half of what, down to what?

>  With disks getting larger and larger, why is it
> taking so long for a journaled filesystem to be
> standard on BSD?

Since we've had soft-updates for quite some time, it has reduced the
need for a journaled file system, however it is of course increasingly
important.  I suppose one has not happened yet because not enough
developers have had the spare time to implement one.  Besides, in
7-RELEASE, you'll have zfs, so there will be an option for you.  You can
always submit patches for journaling for one of the existing file
systems if you'd like.

Eric