Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 06:15:13 +1030
From:      pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au (Peter Childs)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: NNTP news access - available off site

In article <5argtn$m3p$1@al.imforei.apana.org.au> you wrote:

: I've been asked by a small ISP to reccommend a supplier of nntp
: access/news server access. They don't want to invest in a news
: server right now - the ISP has about 200 total customers, and about
: 20 people interested in News. They can't justify a full newsfeed,
: but want to offer the 20 people access to a news server on the
: net.

: Any reccommendations? What's the best news server software for
: FreeBSD? (In case I can't find them a site that will allow
: reader access.)

 Hmm.. i'd suggest running something like nntpcache that allows you
 to then have like a web-cache type arrangement for nntp traffic.

 When your clients have requested/read an article via this "cache"
 software, which pretends its a normal newsserver, it is cached
 and expired etc.

 The amount of bandwidth utilized for this arrangement is *tonnes*
 less than even a partial news feed.  The only disadvantage is that
 you then can't provide active feeds to sites.

 Also there is a leafnode news package which is sort of similar.

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
     Finger pjchilds@al.apana.org.au for public PGP key