Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 17:45:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Why cant a setuid process do a shutdown?

Okay, I've tried everything, and I cant figure out anyway in which a setuid
process can execute a shutdown.

The shutdown will proceed as normal, but when the final time has come to kill
init, nothing happens.  Right before that point all logged in connections are
nuked, getty is killed, (shells logged into the console still are active
however).  I've manually forced both my uid and euid and guid and geuid are all
zero's.  but the system("shutdown"); fails..  anyone have any ideas?

-Crh

    Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu

                     http://rs560.msu.edu/~henrich/