Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:12:25 -0400
From:      Jim Pingle <lists@pingle.org>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-apache@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apachectl gracefult causes Signal 11 crash after 6.3 to 7.0	upgrade [SOLVED]

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>> I myself haven't ever run into extension ordering issues like those
>> described (and we've done hosting for years), but I don't doubt those
>> who have experienced such.
>
> I am currently experiencing this :(
> In the past I shuffled the order until it worked but that's not a real
> solution.

> [snip]

I've mentioned this on the lists a couple times, but I have a shell script I
worked out that puts the extensions into a known-working order.

http://www.pingle.org/2007/09/22/php-crashes-extensions-workaround

It's based on things I've come across with respect to this issue over the
last couple years. It's not a new problem by a long shot. It's been
happening to me for years with PHP4 and PHP5, Apache 1.3.x and 2.x.

See also my previous posts on my site:
http://www.pingle.org/2006/10/18/php-crashes-extensions
http://www.pingle.org/2007/05/13/php-crashes-extensions-2

And some previous threads on the topic:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-November/030951.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-ports/2006-November/036849.html
(I thought there were more but I can't find them at the moment...)

I need to see if I can improve the script any (suggestions are most welcome)
then open a PR to see if it -- or logic like it -- can be included in the
php-extensions meta port.

Jim