Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:10:19 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gabor@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        doceng@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CALL FOR REVIEW] doc and www converted to XML

----Security_Multipart(Wed_Aug_29_22_10_19_2012_052)--

Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <50392481.1070708@FreeBSD.org>:

ga> Em 25-08-2012 19:58, Hiroki Sato escreveu:
ga> > Ah, what I wanted to point out is that not only in the headers the
ga> > ids are converted to lower case in the new framework.  I also
ga> > think we can ignore the impact for the headers.
ga> >
ga> > As you know, the Jade program uses the upper case because it
ga> > supports SGML general name normalization for the ids and NAMECASE
ga> > GENERAL is YES in SGML declaration for HTML.  The xsltproc program
ga> > does not always do so because NAMECASE GENERAL is always NO in
ga> > XML.
ga>
ga> Ok, now I see you are referring to docs not www. I was talking about
ga> www because I only did manual conversion there. A side effect of
ga> changing the SGML declaration used by Jade to enforce XML syntax is
ga> that NAMECASE GENERAL is NO as you said. For now, I don't know what to
ga> do with that. If we start using XSLT, we can customize the DocBook XSL
ga> stlyesheets to do such a normalization. I think it shouldn't be
ga> difficult but I'll have to see how the corresponding parts are written
ga> in DocBook XSL. Do you have any suggestions how to handle this for the
ga> interim period?

 If we continue to use the upper-case ids, converting all of id attr
 and xref's linkend attr to upper-case in the source file, not in the
 style sheet, is needed.  Case normalization of ids by XSLT is wrong
 because relationship between xref's linkend and id must be correct in
 the XML source files.

 I am still wondering if we should stick to the upper-case ids, but
 considering consistency and compatibility, using upper-case is the
 safest.  Our possible options in my mind are:

 1. Convert ids to upper-case and use them.  No compatibility problem.

 2. Use lower-case ids.  Links from pages outside of www.FreeBSD.org
    may be broken.

 3. Convert the existing ids to upper-case but use lower case for
    newly-added ones.  It works but not consistent.

-- Hiroki