Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:04:14 +0700
From:      Igor Podlesny <poige@morning.ru>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: ipfw problem

PP> On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 06:25:13PM +0100, Lee Smallbone wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>>  Thanks for your workaround, although it's not quite what I'd hoped for. (why does ipfw not allow
>>  ranges?? If the author listening...)
>>
>>  I thought I had it for one minute, where I found that ${ip} isn't defined until later on
>>  in the script. No such luck.

PP> Hmm I didn't quite parse that - are you saying that ${ip} really isn't defined
PP> until later?  If so, has that solved your problem?

PP> And about the ranges - ipfw(8) is only a controlling interface to the kernel
PP> ipfw routines.
sure

PP> It would be *much* harder for the kernel to compare every
PP> packet's address against a range than it is to compare it against a netmask -
PP> the latter only involves a bitwise AND operator.

I  rather  dont  agree  with  that  statement, but consider, we should
decide what *MUCH* is at any case :)

And  pay  your  attention, plz -- it does check port ranges absolutely
easy..  I don't see any big difference between ports and IP-addresses.
They both are represented as usual (not too big) numbers at last.

--
 Igor                            mailto:poige@morning.ru