Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:06:24 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Prefetch Mode... (was: VIA crashes)

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 05:35:39PM +0100, Søren Schmidt stood up and spoke:

> Hmm, the BIOS must do more that just toggle prefetch, since the ATA
> driver explicitly turns *on* prefetch :)

You are probably right, as I have been able to crash again in the meantime
:-( So it ain't IDE Prefetch either...

> > As I have said on multiple purposes, I guess my mainboard's BIOS is a
> > little more messed up than what is supposed to be standard ;-) This can
> > also be seen by the fact that I need to put some light load on my hard disk
> > in order to get an acceptably smoothly-moving picture from my TV capture
> > card (though Soren's fix has acceptably fixed this problem by now, which I
> > really appreciate!)
>
> Indeed, but we really should figure out what that problem is all about.
> What exact make and model is that board and the TV tuner ?? I'll see
> if I can get ahold of a semilar setup somehow...

The TV card is a Hauppauge WinTV PCI-FM. Tuner seems to be Philips PAL B/G
(I attached the appropriate section of the dmesg.boot below again).
I guess that this card is probably not really available anywhere else but
in Germany. Probably it is sold in some other European countries as well,
but at least (a part of?) the UK seems to use a slighly different form of
PAL so that they would at least need to put a different tuner on a UK card.

Your 686B fix already solves 95% of this problem, but I still did some more
investigations: Under Windows (of course same system, without special VIA
fix), the card works properly. The same is true for Linux. That doesn't
tell us much, except that there must be some way (whatever it may be) to
solve this problem.

Probably you will be able to set up a similar system, but I have the
strange feeling that it's actually the design of my Chaintech 7AJA/100
board that plays a large role in causing this problem, so without this
board, it's well possible that everything works fine. In the end, I guess
the question is if we are really about to solve something that affects a
lot of FreeBSD users, or if the problem is only there because I bought
cheap s*it... ;-)

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany