Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 1998 02:30:00 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Paul MacKenzie <elephant@cgocable.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Domain name problem: DNS & Sendmail??

Paul MacKenzie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> small problem..
>
> when I send mail to xxx@server.FQDN.com it works..
>
> when I send mail to xxx@FQDN.com it doesnt..
>
> I have  (apart from spending hours of work)
>
> 1) set up masquerading properly within sendmail
>
> tested by simple pinging... ie..
>
> ping fqdn.com  (it works when I manually send mail within my network)
>
> I get the following.. ping: cannot resolve FQDN.com: Unknown host
>
> yet there are no problems with www.FQDN.com, ftp.FQDN.com, etc...
>
> Thus, all mail is refused..
>
> Any help with this (dns?) problem would be appreciated

	You don't seem to have any records (either A or MX) for FQDN.com. If
you think you do and that they should be working, try sending us the
real domain name so we can check for ourselves. If it's a totally
internal zone (no access to the internet at all) then do this and mail
it back:

dig @your.internal.nameserver whateverFQDNreallyis.com any

Good luck,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest