Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:34:54 -0500
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel, AMD, or Cyrix? (FreeBSD-related hardware question)

Ok, time to start a holy war, but as I just dumped some money in to
some new Intel pentium VX2 motherboards, I want to get the best
processing bang for the buck.

Unfortunately, over the last year, my job has switched from hardware to
software, so my processor knowledge outside of Intel is a bit outdated,
so please excuse me while I ask some stupid things...

I'm going to be running FreeBSD on both VX2 motherboards, 32MB a peice. One
will be IDE (3.7GB), the other SCSI (4GB plus CD Burner).

I'm looking over the chips I can buy for the boards. I'm looking at spending
< $200 per board. I was originally looking at Intel Pentium 100-133s. I
don't need kick-ass speed, just something "nice".

Anyhow, I'm now looking at AMD and Cyrix, and, of course, their chips
being called different things, so I'm trying to figure out exactly
what I can support, and what I can't.

According to the board specs, it can run IBM/Cyrix 6x86, P120, P150, P166.
P200. Voltages are 3.5,3.3,2.9,2.8,2.7, and 2.5.

No mention of AMD.

Now, I get get Cyrix 6x86 P200 processors for $85.00.

I can get a 6x86 with MMX for $125.00

I can get an AMD K6 200 Mhx for $182.00

I can get an AMD K5 for $97.00

An Intel Pentium 200 w/mmx for $243.00

Now, the real questions I have are.

1.) Can my boards run the AMD K6s (I know they can run K5s)?

2.) If so,what _really_ is the better of the two chips. (I don't really care
    about MMX). I'm really looking for cheap speed.

3.) Are there any known FreeBSD problems with these chips that will steer
me away from a choice?

	-Brian