Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 19:01:25 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        brian@mpress.com, phk@critter.dk.tfs.com
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: options NOFPU

>>The following is a kludge:
>>
>>I made the enclosed changes to npx.c to force the npx driver
>>to fail to detect the FPU.  This results in the kernel using
>This should be a flag to npx0 so it can be set in userconfig (boot -c)

There is already a `disable' flag for npx0.  This has the same bug as
the patch: nothing sets CR0_MP.  CR0_MP must be set to prevent subtle
errors involving `fwait' with emulators like the GPL math emulator that
actually emulate `fwait' properly (see npx.c).

Removing npx0 from the config file should not-quite-work in the same
way as disabling npx0, but I recently broke this when I added the memory
address size hack in machdep.c.

Bruce