Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:57:19 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        "Harper, Randi (ISS Atlanta)" <rharper@iss.net>
Cc:        sektie@freebsdgirl.com
Subject:   Re: Bluetooth questions

Randi,

> I wasn't entirely certain who I should ask about this but being as how you're listed in the
> ng_bt3c man page, I figured you'd be the most qualified to help me out, if you're willing. :)

you've got the right person :)

> To the best of my knowledge, there are no tools for FreeBSD that will manage any type of
> SyncML or mRouter connection to a Bluetooth enabled mobile phone.

no, there are not. but i bet you do not need (and want) them :) all
that mrouter stuff is a piece of garbage (imo). there are workarounds,
for example

http://www.bwestermann.privat.t-online.de/3650linux_en.html (linux)

and in freebsd

<quote from the rfcomm_pppd(8)>

     -S     In the server mode register the Serial Port (SP) service in addi-
             tion to the LAN Access Using PPP (LAN) service.  It appears that
             some cell phones are using so called ``callback mechanism''.  In
             this scenario the user is trying to connect his cell phone to the
             Internet, and, user's host computer is acting as the gateway
             server.  It seems that it is not possible to tell the phone to
             just connect and start using the LAN service.  Instead the user's
             host computer must ``jump start'' the phone by connecting to the
             phone's SP service.  What happens next is the phone kills the
             existing connection and opens another connection back to the
             user's host computer.  The phone really wants to use LAN service,
             but for whatever reason it looks for the SP service on the user's
             host computer.  This brain damaged behavior was reported for
             Nokia 6600 and Sony/Ericsson P900.

</quote>

> This wasn't a big deal to me as I generally used iSync with my PowerBook to manage
> synchronization with my Nokia 3650, but after switching to a Motorola V600, things got a lot
> more complicated. As a result, I think I've learned a lot more about mobile phone providers
> non-conforming implementations of Bluetooth than I ever wanted to know. The Nokia 3650
> uses Symbian OS (a tragedy of Java with an API that makes me shudder), which to my
> understanding uses mRouter - some odd TCP/IP connection that I think exists over PPP.

it is exactly tcp/ip connection over ppp. there is nothing odd about
it. these days pretty much anyone who has a modem and wants to connect
to the internet use ppp. even with dsl you still might need to run ppp
over ethernet.

whats odd about these phones (i though it was only symbian phones) is
the brain damaged behavior. basically they use bluetooth LAN access
profile in bizarre way.

> From what I've been told thus far, Motorola uses an odd Bluetooth implementation with
> SyncML, and iSync doesn't support it. iSync 1.5, which was just released last week, finally
> included support for SyncML, but it requires a USB cable - pain in the butt. The Apple message
> boards surprisingly turned out to be !  a wealth of information.

i can not speak about syncml. i've never got this specimen into my lab
for dissection. from what i can see there is a way to run syncml over
http or wsp. so you could try to establish tcp/ip connection between
the host and the phone and run syncml over http or wsp  (if the phone
supports it).

> The point of that rant was that I'm fed up to the point of putting all of my other projects to the
> side so I can write a mRouter/SyncML tool for FreeBSD that Doesn't Suck (tm). Most of my
> development work in the past has had more to do with GTK and assorted network management
> tools, so this is an entirely new ballgame for me.

that is great, but i'll say this - do not waste your time with
mrouter. syncml sounds more interesting. btw, you should be able to
use OBEX. take a look at the comms/obexapp port. it does not support
intelligent sync, but it does allow you to get all the information.
the man page also describes how one could implement intelligent sync.

> I'm not necessarily asking you to hold my hand in this, but any help you could give would be
> appreciated. Mainly I'm just looking for recommended documentation on Bluetooth, and any
> FreeBSD-specific knowledge I would have to know for this task. Providing I can get adequate
> documentation to get started, I'd be willing to pay the development membership fees (which
> hopefully won't be necessary) to get the specs I'd need from different mobile phone
> manufacturers.

feel free to ask me any time :) bluetooth programming (in freebsd) is
not that different form network programming (i.e. sockets etc.).  i've
tried to document as much as i could. every bluetooth tools in freebsd
has a man page.

- check out freebsd handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bluetooth.html

- try 'man -k bluetooth'.

- finally look at the source code :)

one word of advise - please use freebsd 5.3 (RELENG_5). this would
save you some bluetooth related pain :)

thanks,
max