Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:38:23 -0500
From:      mtaylor@gateway.cybernet.com (Mark J. Taylor)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Multiport serial cards

[....]

>Finally - is there an AST/8, or other 8 port 16550 board that works
>with the "sio" driver?  There will be at least two other light duty
>serial ports for this application.  An AST/4 plus COM1 and COM2
>will do it, but I would just as soon identify another path.
>
>Peter
>
>--
>Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
>HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
>dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267

Boca Research has line of multiport serial boards which work fine with the
sio driver.  I've got a 4 port version, expandable to 8.  They also a 16
port version.  I'm not sure about them having a 32 port version.

Here is the dmesg output from the 1.1.5.1 box that has the 4 port on it:
sio2 at 0x240-0x247 flags 0x585 on isa
sio2: type 16550A (multiport)
sio3 at 0x248-0x24f flags 0x585 on isa
sio3: type 16550A (multiport)
sio4 at 0x250-0x257 flags 0x585 on isa
sio4: type 16550A (multiport)
sio5 at 0x258-0x25f irq 15 flags 0x585 on isa
sio5: type 16550A (multiport master)

and the kernel config lines:
# BocaBoard 1004 (4-port serial board)
options "COM_MULTIPORT"
device          sio2    at isa? port 0x240 tty flags 0x585
device          sio3    at isa? port 0x248 tty flags 0x585
device          sio4    at isa? port 0x250 tty flags 0x585
device          sio5    at isa? port 0x258 tty flags 0x585 irq 15 vector siointr

You might ask Bob Wilcox about the stuff that he uses.  He has used the
Boca Boards in the past, but I'm not sure what he uses now.

I've also used FastComm 4W (a 4 port) boards in the past.  They seem to
work just fine.  I haven't done any torture testing, though.

-Mark Taylor
mtaylor@cybernet.com