Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 02:59:18 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Claude Buisson <ubc@paris.framatome.fr>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 11:51:47AM +0100, Claude Buisson wrote:
> Please explain:
>=20
> If CPUTYPE is potentially dangerous, why make its use automatic ? needing
> a special flag (commented OUT in /etc/default/make.conf) to deny it.
>=20
> Please, revert the default: do NOT use CPUTYPE optimization in a standard
> build, and let the user ADD it in his /etc/make.conf if he wants to
> (what I do already by tweaking CFLAGS...).

Okay, you're getting worked up here for nothing.  There are a couple
of points:

* Jordan's warning added to make.conf is under debate, and I think
  it's excessive.

* CPUTYPE does nothing by default unless you set it.  Think of it as
  just a handy way to add the correct -m<foo> flags to your CFLAGS
  setting without having to grep through info pages looking for the
  right values.  It also does a bit more than this by enabling asm code
  in OpenSSL and (soon) some ports, but again, only if you specifically
  enable it.

> Furthermore:
>=20
> Does the current setting implying the use of CPUTYPE to build releases ?
> (I probably do not want a march=3Dpentiumpro to build software intended
> to run on a 386).

If you don't set CPUTYPE, your software will continue to run on all
i386-class CPUs.  No defaults have changed here, nor will they for as
long as FreeBSD continues to support the 386 CPU.

Kris

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0

--k+w/mQv8wyuph6w0--