Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:20:36 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Robert Backhaus" <Robbak@Comnorth.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: downloading ports

> From: "Robert Backhaus" <Robbak@Comnorth.com.au>
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 08:48:32 +1000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>

>  Can you point me to a ftp server holding the current ports colection that
> will allow me to get a .tar.gz of a single directory? (eg Get ./gimp1.tar.gz
> will work). I don't feel like downloading the entire thing, just one app.
> By he way, is the gimp port up to date? (gimp 1.2.2, gtk 1.2.10, I believe)

I don't think you understand how the ports work. You don't manually
get the distribution file and they are not all located at the same
place.

The locations and names of the files are in the Makefile in each
port. (The format is kind of cryptic if you are not familiar with the
ports structure, but there is no reason for you to be. It's all
automated.

Just 'cd /usr/port/GROUP/PORT' and 'make' to make a port. GROUP is
most of the directories under ports which include things like devel,
comms, audio, x11, and many others and PORT is the name of the port.

If it makes OK, just 'make install'.

If there is a reason you need to manually load the distribution file
for a port, look in the Makefile for the "MASTER_SITES". Get the
distribution file from that site and place it into
/usr/ports/distfiles.

Unfortunately, there are a few exceptions, usually for packages which
require large patches. You can spot these from the DIST_SUBDIR= line
in the Makefile. Note that, for these, you will also need to get the
patch file(s) as shown in PATCHFILES= and PATCH_SITES=.

It gets a bit messy when you try to do manually what was designed for
automatic operations.

You can go to /usr/ports and issue the command 'make search
name=NAME', where NAME is the name of the port you want to
install. You will get a bunch of information on the port including the
location of the port in the tree.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)