Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 20:09:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Hill <rchill@wf.quik.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PNP SoundBlaster AWE

On Sat, 23 May 1998, Robert Hill wrote:

> I have been having a few problems setting up my PNP SoundBlaster AWE32
> and was wondering if someone else could shed some light on the subject.
> To begin with, I compiled my kernel with the following settings.

okay ..

> Probing for PnP devices:
> CSN 1 Vendor ID: CTL009c [0x9c008c0e] Serial 0x100f3de6
> pcm1 (SB16pnp <SB16 PnP> sn 0x100f3de6) at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
> id 8

hello there.

> pcm0 not found at 0xffffffff

This is normal ...

> I also created the snd0 (and snd1) devices. I have tried making the
> audio symbolic link - audio to both audio0 and audio1 with no luck.

Try modifying /dev/MAKEDEV's snd* section and comment out the lines

#        if [ $unit = "0" ] ; then                 <-- this one
                ln -fs mixer$unit mixer            <-- leave these
                ln -fs sequencer$unit sequencer
                ln -fs dsp$unit dsp
                ln -fs audio$unit audio
                ln -fs dspW$unit dspW
                ln -fs music$unit music
                ln -fs pss$unit pss
#        fi                                        <-- this one

> My main questions are: Why is the pcm device showing up as pcm1 and not
> finding pcm0? (If I change the device entry in the kernel to pcm1, it
> shows up as pcm2.)

This is normal with the pcm driver.  Unit 0 is statically reserved, but
PnP automatically reserves out the next two higher numbers, in this case 1
and 2.  Making the above change to MAKEDEV then running

/dev/MAKEDEV snd1

will make the symlinks right.  Your hint of the problem is that if you do

cat file > /dev/audio

you'll get some log message about

pcm0: are you sure you don't mean pcm1?