Date:      16 Jan 2003 14:02:40 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        alane@geeksrus.net
Cc:        David Holm <david@realityrift.com>, ports-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with mozilla and phoenix

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 13:42, AlanE wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 07:16:15PM +0100, David Holm wrote:
> >On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:04:16 -0500
> >AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net> wrote:

> >> Never seen nor heard of the problem, can't reproduce it, nothing I can do.
> >> It's on your system, as I have an up to date STABLE with up to the minute
> >> ports (and then some) and have no problems, and use phoenix quite regularly
> >> with no issues at all.
> >>
> >> --
> >> AlanE (Alan Eldridge)
> >> Unix/C(++) IT Pro for 20 yrs, likes fixing weird distributed systems bugs.
> >> KDE, KDE-FreeBSD Teams (http://www.kde.org, http://freebsd.kde.org/)
> >>
> >Lol, do you maintain phoenix too ;).
> >
> >I got a reply from Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, he thought I had some fucked up
> >font installed. He suggested I removed some of my fontpaths or disabled Xft (no thanks ;).

Understand, I'm not trying to blow you off.  I'm serious about the font
problems.  I have precedent.  Take a look at this:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=114199+116637+/usr/local/www/db/text/2003/freebsd-gnome/20030112.freebsd-gnome

I'm also not saying you should completely forgo anti-aliasing and custom
fonts.  I use them just fine.  What I am saying is _try_ without custom
fonts or Xft, and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, perhaps we
can narrow down your problem to one font, and remove it.  What have you
got to lose?

If you find this doesn't fix the problem, we may have another issue.
This might be related to the recent download crash, but you said you did
a portupgrade, and the latest Phoenix should have this patch.  The
latest Mozilla in the tree isn't affected by this bug, but Mozilla 1.3a
would be.  However, I have added the same patch to my Mozilla 1.3a diff.

After all that, you're still free to disregard my suggestions, too.

Joe