Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2007 23:27:46 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Kevin Downey <redchin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pwcbsd and Logitech Quickcam Chat

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 01:58:39PM -0800, Kevin Downey wrote:
> On 2/25/07, Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 06:42:20PM +0000, germain le-chapelain wrote:
> > >  > Torfinn Ingolfsen
> > >  >
> > >  > On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:04:10 -0700
> > >  > Kevin Downey <redchin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  >
> > >  > > prospero# spca5shot -i -d /dev/ugen0
> > >  > >  Devices not found !!
> > >  > > Not found SPCA50x based usb camera, or Permission denied
> > >  >
> > >  > Ok, then it seems that your webcam isn't spca5xx based.
> > >  > Time for you to find out whichchipset it really have...
> > >  >

> > > our device is actually supported, spca port isn't aware of it, at might
> > > has been released after.
> >
> > this is already handled in multimedia/linux-gspca-kmod,
> > and i would suggest you to upgrade to that
> >
> > cheers
> > luigi
> >

> I have my quickcam chat working with vlc's v4l and the above mentioned
> port. The video I am seeing is qcif(176x144) when logitech claims the
> camera does cif(352x288) natively and the n uses software to scale up
> to 640x480. Given the picture quality I dunno that I'd want to scale
> it up to 640x480, but if I could get cif out it that would be nice.

there aren't a lot of testing tools available, but as part of
/usr/ports/devel/linux-kmod-compat/work/linux_compat/
you find a simple program, pwcview.c, which lets you open the camera
with different sizes (sif, cif, vga) so you can test which format
is supported by the driver.
It might be that vic tries 320x240 (sif ?) and not finding that falls
back to a lower resolution.

	cheers
	luigi