Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:47:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dave Hummel <dave@dnh.pce.net>
To:        Corey Cavalier <cavalier@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: power pc

Hi,

If you are looking to run BSD on a power pc, see www.netbsd.org or
www.openbsd.org. If you are looking to run a UNIX-ish system on a power
pc, see www.linuxppc.com or www.yellowdoglinux.com.

If you are looking to run "regular" UNIX/BSD programs on OS X, I rather
hope that you can download the source and build it without too much hassle
(although I agree that this remains to be seen). I have an old NextStep
box, and the compiler on this is gcc, the same as on *BSD and Linux, so it
may be the case with OS X as well. I rather suspect OS X has a BSD-ish
'make' in it as well. One of the first things I do on a non-BSD/Linux
system install the latest gcc and gnu make in /usr/local/bin. If you can
make it that far it greatly increases the chances of being able to compile
"normal" unix programs without too much modification.

Dave