Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 21:10:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Arjan.deVet@adv.IAEhv.nl (Arjan de Vet)
To:        bakul@torrentnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache like preforking apps and high loads

In article <199704031653.LAA20772@chai.plexuscom.com> you write:

>To guido:  For apache like apps one idea is to have one process be
>the acceptor and have it pass a new socket to individual server
>processes (including doing some initial processing to determine
>which process should get this socket if not all server processes are
>equivalent).

That was one of the first approaches NCSA used for preforked HTTP daemons:
one parent process which does an accept() and which passes the
filedescriptor to one of the child processes.

I don't know about more recent versions of NCSA but Apache now uses one
parent process which only watches the number of free child processes. The
child processes all block on accept(), waiting for a connection to arrive.

Arjan