Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:38:37 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        drmyers@gte.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X11R6

On Tue, 24 February 1998 at 13:58:23 -0800, David R. Myers wrote:
> I know this must be the millionth time this question has been asked but
> how does one start X windows. I have BSD version 2.1.6 and have gone
> through the whole installation process for X11R6 but when I type startx
> as root I get the following: xinit: not found. I have tried all kinds of
> variations tring to include the path /usr/X11R6/bin/startx etc. with no
> success. Can someone give me the exact command to get X rolling?

You said it.  Use a Bourne-style shell (sh, bash, ksh or zsh), and
enter:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin export PATH
startx

I'd guess, though, that you've tried that.  Your problem is probably
elsewhere.  Without a description of what goes wrong, I can't help you
much, but you'll find a detailled description in "The Complete
FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm).

Greg