Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 09:55:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Vedad Kajtaz <vk@mankind.net>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ccd partitions (was: Needs BSD4.2 FastFile System ID number)

[Format autorecovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Monday, 31 August 1998 at 21:15:45 +0200, Vedad Kajtaz wrote:

> i'm trying to install a ccd mirror driver on two scsi discs, but i
> need the BSD4.2 FFS filesystem ID (requested by label editor), as
> ccd doc suggests it's the only fs ccd would work with.

You sound confused.  I don't know what you mean by a "filesystem ID",
but I'd think of a magic number.  You don't need that for setting up
ccd, but you do need the partition to be of type 4.2BSD.  Do that with
disklabel -e.

Of course, you might prefer to try vinum.  See
http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html.  Note that vinum requires the
partition to be of type "unused".  Requiring it to be 4.2BSD helps you
shoot yourself in the foot.

Greg