Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 1995 23:02:48 +0000 ()
From:      Thor Clark <thor@paxs.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions re new Install

Hi all-

Thanks for all the responses to my network printer question
(using a network printer on a Win95 machine from a FreeBSD PC)
Turns out Win95 doesn't support lpd.  Samba looks like it's
the best bet, but I haven't had time to install it.
And I have more questions---:)

	I've been using 2.0R for 7 months, and it's been very solid.
In the next few weeks, I need to install FreeBSD 2.0.5 on another PC.
So, I have some questions I haven't been able to answer.

My setup: one FreeBSD box (P90, 16M, SCSI,IDE,  no cdrom), three
PC's(various)  running Win95, with IDE cdrom's.  All connected via
ethernet, Win95 machines running MS's preinstalled network stuff
(netbios, netbuei(spelling?)), with basic tcp/ip services provided
by the FreeBSD machine (ftp,telnet, packet routing) - no pcnfs, samba,
etc.

1) I'd like to get the cd and install from it.  Is there a simple way to
do this?  Ugly question, I know.  I'd rather not have to swap cdrom drives
around (I'd like to buy the cdrom, 'cause I like the OS and want to
support it, but can't spring for a SCSI cdrom).
Any way to do a network install with this setup?  Does 2.0.5 support
IDE teac 4x cdroms?

2) If not: I've looked through the ftp site, and can't find a solid list
of directories that I need to get to do an install. (and instructions,
etc).  Can someone point me in the right direction?

3) What kind of performance hit will I take running this on a
486/33 w/ 4M?  (getting mail, routing, possible running an
Xwindows server for network clients).  Any suggestions as to
more memory vs. faster processor vs. faster HD (IDE :( ?

4) Are there any 486 motherboards I should avoid? (I've heard
that they're all okay, but after dealing with Pentium mb's,
I'm a little leery).  Any problem with generic VGA cards?

Sorry if some of these are no-brainers -- this is kind of
critical, as it will be used as a backup site for the
place I work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Thor