Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:01:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: egcs and templates

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Peter Dufault wrote:

> I've been off hackers so I hope this hasn't gone around in the last
> week before list archival takes place:
>
> Does anyone know the combination of tools for egcs to work with templates?
> The new ptolemy needs egcs and I get the evidently well known
> problems of this assembler complaint:

It was my understanding that those messages (which hit me in another
way) were the fault of the linker, and would most likely be resolved
when we moved to ELF.  I also understood that the move to ELF was to
happen really quickly now, so I'm kinda anxious to test this myself.

> > {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> > {standard input}:7398: Warning: GOT relocation burb: `__$_9InfString' should be global
>
> followed by multiple defines in the link for the shared library:
>
> > ld /usr/lib/c++rt0.o -Bshareable -o  libexttools.so.7.0 InstanceManager.o MathematicaIfc.o MatlabIfc.o MatlabPtIfc.o
> > ../../../src/utils/libexttools/MathematicaIfc.cc:74: Definition of symbol `__$_9InfString' (multiply defined)
> > ../../../src/utils/libexttools/MatlabIfc.cc:75: Definition of symbol `__$_9InfString' (multiply defined)
> > gmake: *** [libexttools.so.7.0] Error 1
>
> This shows another thing I know I may be doing wrong: using /usr/lib/c++rt0.o
> with egcs.
>
> Tools:
>
> Using new egcs in ports,
> assembler from -current,
> standard linker.
>
> I tried the switches "-frepo" and "-fno-implicit-templates" not expecting
> the program to work but at least trying to see if it linked and it
> exhibited the same behavior, as if the switches were doing nothing.
>
> Later I'm going to follow the INSTALL directions and try to install at
> least the assembler from the latest binutils but that recommendation
> mentions exceptions as the item it fixes and not templates.
>
> Anyone have this working?
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
> HD Associates, Inc.               Safety critical systems, Agency approval

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |