Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 02:32:19 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        David Petrou <dpetrou@kinclaith.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble installing FreeBSD over PPP

> I'm having a hard time installing the 10-21 FreeBSD SNAP over ppp.  It
> seems to connect to the ftp.freebsd.org fine, but I'm getting
> throughput of less than 100 bytes per second (yes, bytes).  My modem
> is connected to my gateway at 28.8k.  This is not a network congestion
> problem because I get much higher throughput if I attach my modem to
> my linux box and try transferring files from the freebsd ftp server.

I'm not sure what the 10-21 snap is, but if it's from between October
6 & 12, it's been fixed now.

You should be able to dodge the problem (if you can't get a later
snap) with "disable vjcomp" and "deny vjcomp" before dialing.

> Any ideas?
>
> David
>
> P.S.: On another note, sometimes if I abort an operation (ctrl-c) when
> installing FreeBSD (for instance, if I get tired of watching a 100
> byte per second install), the screen goes completely blue and a few
> moments later the install dies with a signal 11.

Hmm, shouldn't do.  A ^c in ppp should just close the connection.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;