Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 20:19:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <joegreco@execpc.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com
Subject:   Question about AHA-3940U "UltraSCSI"

Hi all,

OS: FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT (few days before -ALPHA)
Machine: ASUS P55TP4XE, P133 CPU, 32MB RAM, NCR 810

I recently acquired an Adaptec 3940U.  This is the "Ultra-SCSI" capable
variant of the 3940, which I have been using successfully for quite some
time.

The drives I have connected to it, two ranks of six Seagate ST-31055N's
each, are Ultra-SCSI capable.

FreeBSD sees the 3940U and identifies it as an Ultra SCSI controller.

However, if I enable Ultra-SCSI mode in the Adaptec setup menu, FreeBSD
still sees the controller, but experiences errors when writing to the
drive.  I have not tried reading.

The Adaptec utilities have no problems verifying, etc., the disks, so I
do not think it is a cabling issue.

My guess is that perhaps nobody has actually had one of these to play
with, or something like that.

I am in absolutely no need of Ultra-SCSI support...  I bought the U drives
for the extra cache, and I bought the controller because it seemed silly
not to buy a controller capable of keeping up with the drives.  However,
the intended application is "Usenet news", so it is really not going to
be noticeable to me if I do not run these as Ultra-SCSI.

However, I would gladly provide any further information, testing, access
to the box, etc., if anyone is interested in resolving this issue.  This
machine is _NOT_ in service at this time, so I am more than able to
abuse/crash/etc it at this time!!  (But I only have a few weeks before I
want to put this box on line.)

Thanks,

... Joe