Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:05:54 -0500
From:      Michael Holstein <michael.holstein@csuohio.edu>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   SATA raid box and GEOM

I have a Gateway 840 SATA raid box that's fully populated with 250gb
drives, but the controller in the unit is subject to the 2^32 SCSI
limit, thus I can't use the full capacity as one disk (natively anyway).

Thought :

The device has 2 SCSI controllers on separate channels, I can allocate
each LUN of 1.3tb each to a separate controller on a separate SCSI card,
then use geom(stripe) to concat those two into one large volume of ~2.6tb.

This is a very busy syslog server. What are the performance issues of
using geom (memory/cpu wise)? .. logic would hold that by using 2 SCSI
adapters and both ports on the controller, I'd double the effective disk
bandwidth (although there are probably other mitigating factors).

Am I better off just using the max 2048gb size as one SCSI ID and using
gpt to partition it (then newfs the raw device) and calling it a day
(forgetting about the extra 500gb)?

[I'm not a list subscriber .. so please CC me directly on reply]

Thanks,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University