Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 1995 16:00:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
To:        scrappy@hub.org (Marc G. Fournier)
Cc:        jc@irbs.com, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mountd startup problem...

Marc G. Fournier writes:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 1995, John Capo wrote:
>
> > Marc G. Fournier writes:
> > >
> > > hub# mountd
> > > clnttcp_create: RPC: Program not registered
> >
> > Just for grins, run rpcinfo -p.  I suspect you will see a slew of the
> > messages above.  I have a patch that will silence them or you can bring
> > in yplib.c from -current.
> >
> 	Okay, that worked, and I found the problem with my client machine
> not being able to mount the nfs drives...but why does mountd seem to
> hang during boot up?  Or was I just not being patient enough to allow
> it to come up?

Mountd does not hang on the machines I run mountd on without yp.
Is it a name lookup problem perhaps?  Does mountd eventually time
out and DTRT?

John Capo                                                   jc@irbs.com
IRBS Engineering                       High performance FreeBSD systems
(305) 792-9551                 Unix/Internet Consulting - ISP Solutions