Date:      14 Mar 1999 05:25:33 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        "Robert Faulds" <frf@energyinteractive.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Src code for @Home  NIC Card for Slaming into UNIX - Re: (Form   posted from Mozilla  (KMM25773C0KM))

"Robert Faulds" <frf@energyinteractive.com> writes:
> Tci uses DHCP, but it uses a unique hostname (installing their software
> changed my hostname to something like B9182734-B) to get a preassigned
> IP address. This address was printed, along with default route, on the
> top of the work order. One thing that was missing were name servers.

That's what DHCP is for. It's "Dynamic host configuration protocol",
not "Dynamic IP address allocation protocol".

There are two ways of really appreciating DHCP:

1) try running a server which by sheer coincidence has an IP address
   which was previously assigned to a large ISP's name server. Watch
   your named logs closely. While you're at it, write an awk script
   which counts occurrences of such household words as "sex", "nude",
   "teensex", "celebs", etc. Before long, you'll wish that ISP had
   used DHCP instead of manual resolver configuration.

2) try running the network at a medium to large LAN party. You will
   really, really love DHCP after going through that.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no