Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 1995 05:06:10 +1100 (EST)
From:      Peter Marelas <maral@webnet.com.au>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Argh, lost console :-(

On Fri, 24 Nov 1995, Joe Greco wrote:

> Frustrating:  I just lost my *(#@&@#^*( console again.
>
> What happened:  I put xdm as the last entry in /etc/rc.local on a 486DX/33
> with 32MB RAM, Fahrenheit 1280 VGA card, running 2.0.5R.

The README in XF86312 says to start xdm from a tty in /etc/ttys

  The easiest way to automatically start the display manager on boot is
  to add a line in /etc/ttys to start it on one of the unoccupied
  virtual terminals:

        ttyv4  "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm    on secure

  You should also make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin/X is a symbolic link to
  the Xserver that matches your video card or edit the file Xservers in
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm to specify the pathname of the X server.

  The change to /etc/ttys won't take effect until you either reboot or
  ``kill -HUP 1'' to force initd to reread /etc/ttys.  You can also test
  the display manager manually by loging in as root on the console and
  typing ``xdm -nodaemon''.