Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 10:26:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Melanson <wjm@gate.net>
To:        Chris Angell <chris62vw@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VirtualUserTable

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, Chris Angell wrote:

% Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 18:24:54 PDT
% From: Chris Angell <chris62vw@hotmail.com>
% To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
% Subject: VirtualUserTable
%
% I have a FreeBSD machine that is on the Internet acting as a mail and www
% server (among other things).  I want to host multiple domains.  The only
% problem I have is not knowing how to make the email work.  When I used to
% work at a small ISP, there was a /etc/virtualusertable that was updated,
% then hashed (?) to make a database of users.  So there would be entries like
% this:
%
% webmaster@somesite.com        root
%

This is what I've done:

1. Within the directory /etc/mail create a file called "virtusrtable".

2. Within the virtusrtable file place the following:

   webmaster@somesite.com        root

What this says is that any mail which comes to webmaster@somesite.com will
directed to root's mailbox.

IMPORTANT: Within the virtualusertable file, field seperators must be the
           tab key.

3. Using the makemap command we convert the virtualusertable file to a
   database format:

   % makemap hash /etc/mail/virusrtable < /etc/mail/virtusrtable

   This will create a /etc/mail/virtualusertable.db file.

Everytime the virtualusertable file is modified you must once again
rebuild the virtualusertable database by running the makemap command
above. Upon completion of running makemap you should have the following
2 files:

   virtualusertable
   virtualusertable.db

4. Restart Sendmail: