Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 2014 17:08:31 -0800
From:      David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: switching from ports to pkg -- mailman group mismatch

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 01:23:51PM -0800, Darren Pilgrim wrote:
>=20
> That likely means mailman assumes there's a sendmail program it can use=
=20
> for mail injection.  Does it "just work" if you tell postfix to activate=
=20
> itself in mailer.conf?
>=20
Postfix is already selected in mailer.conf. Apparently postfix's
sendmail is not a substitute for the real sendmail in mailman unless
it is configured and built with postfix selected.

> It's fine to mix them.  I have a handful of ports on everyt system I=20
> have to compile myself--mostly because I want them linked to the ports=20
> OpenSSL, but there are some that need non-default values.  I just keep=20
> them locked so a pkg-upgrade doesn't touch them.
>=20
> If you end up with a lot of compiled ports, set up poudrerie.

I will look into this. At the moment, I only have mailman that I know
*must* be built from the port.

>=20
> Where did you see this advice?  About all that happens is pkg will=20
> report "options changed" and want to reinstall it from the package.=20
> Pkg-lock is your friend.

Yes, I must look into pkg lock. I believe the advice about sticking
with default options was on this list in response to someone else
having trouble with ports. This is where, perhaps, my desire for ports
where all the options work is unsustainable: The work of maintaining a
port must expand, probably more than exponentially, if all
combinations of options must be tested.

Thanks!
--=20
David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>