Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 14:32:18 +0200
From:      Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   HTTP Load Balancing and Availability Solutions

Hi,

I´m looking for a software that does the job of accepting
HTTP request as a webserver and then distributes these
to other servers - depending on which one is currently up.

We have a customer who wants some kind of failsafe solution.
Load balacncing is not the main issue - instead we want to
configure one main webserver, in case this one fails the
software is supposed to switch over to the other webserver
for HTML file retrieval.

After some quick and dirty lookup in Google I found this
software called "FreeQualizer" (http://www.coyotepoint.com),
which sounds nice but is not free.

If it´s remarkably good, it might be worth giving a try.
Anyone got any experience with this one ?

Before chosing this one though, I´d like to know if there
are other well known and reliable solutions out there.

Apache with mod_proxy/mod_rewrite also seems like an alternative
(I found this interesting article on
http://www.devshed.com/Talk/Books/ProApache/page6.html) - I´m
not sure if the mod_proxy/mod_rewrite stuff only works for load
balancing or also can handle outages of the 'backend' servers.

Any suggestions ? Ideas ? URL´s ? :)

Thanks,

Emre

--