Date:      Sun, 19 Aug 2001 23:33:56 -0400
From:      "Ken Cross" <kcross@ntown.com>
To:        "Robert Watson" <rwatson@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DENY ACL's

Thanks for the feedback.

In NT (or Win2K), ACL's actually apply to *everything*, not just files, but
the evaluation is the same regardless.

Each Access Control Entry (ACE) in the ACL consists of:

  *  Type (Allow or Deny)
  *  Security ID (SID, basically an elaborate uid or gid)
  *  Access mask -- bit mask of what access is being requested

The access check is straightforward:

  1.  If a Deny ACE exists for the requesting user (i.e., the user's SID or
any of his groups' SID's match), access is denied.

  2.  If an Allow ACE exists for the requesting user, access is allowed.

  3.  Otherwise, by default, access is denied.

Since the users we're working with are in the Windows environment, they'll
expect similar behavior.

My initial thoughts were just to add step 1. above and then fall through to
the existing checks.  Heck, if somebody goes to the trouble of setting a
Deny ACE, we really need to make sure that user/group gets denied.

Step 2. could be the existing ACL tests.  I think Step 3. could be
accomplished by setting the "standard" mode bits to 000.  That way, they'd
only get access if an ACE allowed it.

All access is via Samba, though, so there could be some goofy things done
there.  But behavior should be consistent, so I'd rather see it in the
filesystem/kernel.

Good idea about checking in on the Posix.1e mailing list -- I'll do that.
(What's the URL?)

Ken