Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:35:07 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        chat95@mbox.kyoto-inet.or.jp
Subject:   Further announcement: List for biology ports

ade@FreeBSD.org on 2000-09-19 (Tue) at 08:57:28 -0700:

> Synopsis: New port: biology/gaussian98
>
> State-Changed-From-To: analyzed->closed
> State-Changed-By: ade
> State-Changed-When: Tue Sep 19 08:56:17 PDT 2000
> State-Changed-Why:
> Timeout (3 months) in analyzed.  As it stands, the port is broken
> in so many ways, we'd have to almost completely re-do it in
> order to get it to work.  When you have something that works
> and passes portlint, please submit a new PR.  Thanks.

In the light of occurrences like the above, this may be as good a time as
any...

Some two months ago a few of us formed a FreeBSD-bio mailing list, with the
initial purpose (as I expressed it at the time):

1) To create a staging area wherein porters (and putative porters) of bio
   tools for FreeBSD can co-operate in order to divide the load, help each
   other out, test each other's ports, etc.

2) To create a singe point of contact for FreeBSD users in the biosciences.

To this I can now add an additional objective:

3) To promote FreeBSD as the operating system of choice for users in the
   biosciences and computational biosciences.

At the time I announced the formation of the list to certain FreeBSD lists,
but not to -ports.  I might as well do that now.

The FreeBSD-bio list has had some modest success, and some ports are already
being submitted.  Hopefully there will be many more soon.  I think we have
been very successful at objective (1) - the FreeBSD-bio list is a less,
err...  harsh environment than -ports, since most of the members are
biologists first and unix geeks second.  We've become quite good at rendering
some mutual assistance in order to get ports out the door.  I would encourage
people like the submitter of the original PR quoted above to join us.

(Which is not to say it's a newbies-only list:  In fact, some people with
more in-depth knowledge of FreeBSD than we have would be very welcome indeed!
:-)

FreeBSD-bio is a low volume list and does therefore not (yet!) qualify to be
hosted by FreeBSD.org.  To subscribe to FreeBSD-bio, either:

   the web front-end.

2) Send a message to freebsd-bio-request@freebsd.net, with the following in
   the body of the message: subscribe [address=<address>]

-- Johann