Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 15:20:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@ais.salford.ac.uk>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsifreeb@sdorgsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can the P/I-P55T2P4 be overclocked?  In other words does it        support 75 and 83MHz bus speeds?

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Mark Powell stands accused of saying:
> > > Correct, only the plain P55T2P4 rev. 3.0/3.1 have everything needed to do 75 & 83Mhz,
> > > but I seriously doubt that a heavily loaded 2940 will perform well above 33Mhz PCI bus
> > > speeds....
> >
> > Why's that? Also, what d'you mean by "well"?
>
> A good question.  Providing the bus interface on the aic7xxx part is
> up to it, it might run faster.  Bear in mind that it's only designed
> for 33MHz though.

Yeah. The guy replyed saying that Asus have tested the 7880 and found that
it doesn't meet all their test criteria over 33MHz. Although it does "work".

> > > The SC-200 and the SC-875 stand a much better chance of running well at higher PCI
> > > bus speeds when drives are attached that fully use their capabilities.
> >
> > Not too sure on the quality of the FreeBSD drivers for the NCR though. And
>
> The FreeBSD NCR drivers are excellent.  Note that experimental
> evidence tends to indicate that the 2940 is better under multi-drive
> loads than the NCR, but by a fairly small margin.  Also note that many
> so-called "onboard 2940" controllers are actually lower-spec parts
> that won't perform anywhere near as well.

The P55-T2P4S motherboard has a 7880 on-board. However, that motherboard
won't go to 75MHz and 83MHz as will the non-SCSI T2P4.

> > I don't think the NCR 53c875 is supported at all, just 810 & 825 :(
>
> The FreeBSD/NetBSD NCR driver supports the 810, 815, 820, 825, 860 and
> 875.
>
> > Suppose, I could just use narrow drives instead of the wides I
> > currently have?  Hmmm, I really wanted to overclock a Cyrix 6x86
> > P166+ to a P200+, and this seemed to be the way to do it from
> > other's expericence.
>
> Why?  Unless you are going to be doing things that are totally CPU
> bound, you should be more worried about memory and I/O throughput than
> plain CPU cycle time.  Going to narrow drives will just defeat this.

Yeah, I know. I meant if the 875 wasn't supported I could use the 810 with
narrow drives and still push the external clock speed to 75MHz. However,
now you've enlightened me I can get the 875 and use it under FreeBSD with
my wide drives and hopefully with a greater chance of success than with a
7880.

> > Do you have any idea whether the DFI G586VPS Pro (using VLSI Lunx chipset)
> > or the or the MTech R534 (http://www.mtiusa.com/r534.htm), using the
> > Sis5571 chipset which I think I read somewhere "allows the PCI bus to be
> > locked at 32MHz [sic?] whatever the external clock speed", would be better
> > for this purpose?
>
> I would be demanding datasheets on the chipsets in question and
> studying the timing values programmed by the BIOS for these boards in
> comparison with the Intel chipsets and their recommended timing.  The
> 430FX chipsets push things pretty hard already; I'm skeptical that
> these other newcomers are likely to be more than marginally better.

These chipsets are designed to accomodate the Cyrix P200+ which needs an
external clock speed of 75MHz. They also support the Cyrix's "Linear Burst
Mode" which can supposedly give a 3-5% speed improvement on cache filling.
However, I agree and think I'd be going down a blind alley with such new
chipsets. I'll stick with the 430HX chipset on the T2P4.

Mark Powell - Unix Information Officer - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel:	+44 161 745 5936	Fax:	+44 161 736 3596
Email:	mark@salford.ac.uk	finger mark@ucsalf.ac.uk (for PGP key)
<A HREF="http://www.ucsalf.ac.uk/~mark/">Home Page</A>